Frequently Asked Questions
Take the time to read this F.A.Q section, before you contacting me because you may find the answer here. In case you want to contact directly you may do so through our Contact Us form.
1. How do I see on the website the products that I have downloaded/purchased?
It is very simple:
- Select the package you want to learn from this website and go through the check out process.
- Go either to My Account *at the very top of this website) or check out your email inbox.
- Then, download the package(s) to your computer. (I recommend you create a separate folder only for all the packages you buy, so that you know where they are in your machine).
- Unzip the file (open the zip file) if needed. The name of the file you need to put inside the application ends in .rafa (e.g. 004_Footwear_BR_PT.rafa)
- Upload the files from your computer to your Rafa’s Vocabulary Ticker application by clicking "Add New Packs" button (which you can find when you click the Settings or Tools icon) and start learning straight away.
IMPORTANT NOTE: Please wait a few moments for the application to deploy (insert) the new package. Once you load the Rafa's Vocabulary Ticker with a new package, the application takes a bit to read the content of that new package. So wait for a message to come up informing you that the new package has been deployed (or is inside the application).
5. I didn't get an email to download the files. Paypal payment looks like it has gone through. What shall I do?
If you haven't received an email with the download link, please check both, the "Trash" and the "Spam" folders of your email address..
Please click on Download and the files you've purchased will be start being transferred from there. On My Account page (which you find following at the top of this website), you can also have access to the files you've purchased.
Please click download to start.
Please note that sometimes your email provider takes a while to deliver your emails to you.
6. Every time I start up my computer the software starts running as well. How can I stop this?
This feature applies to Windows Operating Systems only, and it's on to remind you that you should use RVT every day. You can disable this feature easily by following the steps below:
a. Open the Start menu and type msconfig into the Search box.
b. Click the msconfig search result. The utility will open in a new window.
c. Click the Startup tab. You'll see a list of programs that start when your computer starts.
d. To stop RVT from automatically launching when you boot your PC, uncheck the box next to its entry.
e. When you are finished deselecting startup items, click OK. If you made any changes, you'll be prompted to restart the computer. You don't have to restart it immediately, but the changes won't take effect until you do.
When you restart the computer, MSConfig will alert you to the changes. In the window that pops up, check the box next to Don't show this message or launch the System Configuration Utility when Windows starts, and click OK to prevent future alerts. You can always return to MSConfig to reverse the changes or make additional tweaks.
7. I can't install RVT on my Mac. What shall I do?
Some MAC users may experience a problem when installing RV Ticker, due to a permission problem. RVT is a trustful source, but it is an independent application which is waiting for Apple to recognize Rafa as an officially registered developer. As a consequence some users will get a message saying that they cannot install this application when they try to install it.
This is due to the application download permissions defined in the security settings of your MAC.
Once Rafa is still waiting for Apple to validate his registration, you can solve this problem yourself, by changing the permissions to install this application. To do this:
a. Go to ‘System Preferences’ and click the option ‘Security & privacy’
b. On Security & Privacy, select the tab ‘General’. Please enable changes by clicking on the yellow lock symbol at the bottom left of the window (the system will require the administrator’s password).
c. Change the permission. In the group "Allow apps downloaded from" please select the option 'Anywhere'. The system will ask you to re-confirm the option.
d. Install Rafa’s Ticker by double-clicking on the file ‘Rafa_Client_7.jar’
e. After the installation is finished, please change the permission back to default. In the group ‘Allow apps downloaded from:’ , select the option ‘Mac App Store and Identified Developers’. This is required to make sure you keep your system protected.
8. On the Main Panel: Can I decide what words to run in the stream?
Yes you can. All you need is uncheck all the words by clicking on the "select all" button and then select the ones you want to be running on the Ticker.
9. How can I uncheck all the checked boxes, by one click?
By clicking on "Select all" above all the ticked boxes. You need to uncheck all of them (in all packs, one pack at a time) by clicking on "Select all" and then select the ones you want to be checked.
10. Can I add words direct to RVT?
Yes. By clicking on the button "add" a new pack will be created "My words". There, you can add as many words as you want as well as recording their corresponding sound.
11. On the "Rafa text config" and on the user guide #16, it says that one can select a category of words, but how?
Just above the list of word you can see the name of the pack you are working on. If you have more packs, you'll see more options if you scroll down the options.
12. What is Rafa’s Vocabulary Ticker?
13. Will I jeopardise my performance at work by using this Rafa's Vocabulary Ticker while I'm working?
Absolutely not! On the contrary. With this tool, you'll maximise your time! My research and experience shows that when you are very concentrated on something you are doing you won't look at anything else. However, from time to time, your brain has the need to switch off for a few seconds and breathe to get energy and inspiration for concentration again. Those seconds you need to look away from what you are concentrating on will be for you to learn or recall a new word or expression. This way you will not only please your brain by resting your concentration for a few seconds, but you will also feel satisfaction because you are making the most of those seconds to learn something new.
14. What can I do with Rafa's Vocabulary Ticker?
15. What are the system requirements?
- Linux and other Operating Systems OS
16. When I tried to install the application or upload a package to the application I received an error message. What shall I do?
If you received an error message like "Error while unzipping Java", that may mean that you need to do one or all of the following 4 things:
- Update your Java software (which you can do by clicking here now). You may have Java on your computer, but it might not be up to date.
- Update your computer,
- Go to your email in-box and, from the "Download info" email and download the file again. Whilst you were downloading the file from this website to your computer, a problem with your internet connection may have occurred and your computer didn't download the entire file.
- If you have Windows, please open the app as "Run as Administrator".
Yes I do. Once again, my aim is to help you speak Portuguese faster. And I understand - this is an alternative method and a huge change in learning Portuguese, and some of us may feel a bit uncomfortable and skeptical no matter how amazing these changes may be. So if you feel this is not for you, please contact me within 2 weeks, remind me the packages you have purchased and I'll erase your account from this site and proceed the refund.
23. Shall I use head-phones when learning?
My recommendation is YES! The sounds of the words and expressions are high quality, and recorded in such a way that will allow you to learn different intonations. This is why I recommend you to use head-phones for better results.
No. However this website must be used only by people of adult legal age in the country they reside. Please read License and Terms to learn more.
, Rafa's Vocabulary Ticker will allow you to recognize the words when people speak fast and run many words together. There is no fake language here.
31. I live in Europe but not in the United Kingdom. Why is RVT not available in my country?
Unfortunately if you live outside the UK but within the EU this language tool is not available for you at the moment, as I am not registered for EU VAT yet. Nevertheless, please contact me directly here so that I may be able to find a solution for you. Thank you for your understanding.
32. How much does it cost?
Rafa’s Vocabulary Ticker software and its packages of words and expressions, are available at a very reasonable price to help us keep this site running and carry on with the linguistic research. The prices are clearly stated next to each product.